Saturday, January 06, 2007

Triton of the Sea, Episode 2 - Part 2

NOTE: This summary is based on an imperfect translation (I do not speak Japanese). Please let me know of any inaccuracies.

Triton of the Sea is copyright 1972 by Office Academy. This free advertising is an effort by a fan for fans.

In the first half, Triton encounters a big ol' turtle head...


"You are Triton?" Medon asks. "It seems like forever I have been waiting." Suddenly, bubbles rise from the ocean nearby, and Ero and Karo emerge to Luka's dismay, safe but uncomfortable. Medon chuckles. "You've got good friends." "They're not my friends!" Triton snaps (Ero and Karo agree). "Forget about these guys. Show me what the things my parents left." "Check out the crack near my neck." Medon tells him. Triton pulls out a pink conch. "There is a
message inside from your parents. Listen to it." Triton puts his ear to the shell.


"Triton. When you listen to this conch, we may already have died. I must give this last message to you while I can. You must follow the Triton law and fight for the peace of the sea."

"It is true. You must be a man and fight for the Triton. Hang in there! Fight!" his mother tells him.

"For the sea...for the Triton Tribe I must fight? Why? Can I do anything else? Tell me, Medon." "That is your destiny as a Triton. The legend is that the Triton are descendents of Atlantis after it submerged in the sea." "But what is the Triton?" Medon cannot explain. He tells Triton that he met his father in the Atlantic, and Luka was given Triton there thirteen years ago.

"What is the Triton Tribe? What is the Poseidon Tribe?" Triton asks. "The Triton love the sea. The Poseidon have destroyed the peace of the sea."

Angrily, Triton screams "Why should I fight? Who cares about the
peace of the sea?" He throws the conch away. "Will my parents come
back after I beat the Poseidon?...I want to go back to the village
and see my uncle!" Ero and Karo murmur that Triton's bark is worse
than his bite (and Medon pushes them into the sea).

On the way back, the four encounter Fin, who tell them that the
gorgon's followers are coming. Luka tells them to stay back, but
Triton refuses.


The dolphins attack the giant manta ray, but they are helpless. Triton draws his dagger and attacks, but only bounces off the monster. "Lead him to the whirlpools!" The monster cannot
navigate the whirls and is torn apart.



Later, Triton sits on Medon's back and looks at the sea mournfully.
"Why are the Triton and Poseidon fighting? Why did they kill my
parents? Tell me, conch. What is the Triton?" The episode ends as
he blows on the conch...



COMMENTS

---The voice of Ero is played by Ootake Hiroshi, who played Boss in the 1972
series MAZINGER Z.

---According to Tezuka Production's English site, the original Blue Triton manga had a character identical to Medon, but named "Ganomoth". (Press the yellow arrow at the right of the characters to see him).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home