Saturday, January 06, 2007

Gundam Game and Toy...

In the days when Mario was an evil oppressive carpenter named Jumpman, I had the Game and Watch of Donkey Kong JR, which was...ok. (I don't think I ever played the arcade or PC versions of the game, although I did have Donkey Kong for the Atari 800XL). I was never impressed by the game, which was fine for its time, but paled to then-current computer games.

The G&W idea was refined further by Tiger Toys, which made larger handhelds with the same simple "moving LCD characters on fixed backgrounds" play style. I had the Ninja Gaiden and Simon's Quest games, which were okay for passing the time in the days before the original Game Boy came out, but weren't very memorable.

Vincent Z. has posted what has to be the best implementation of the "G&W"idea ever on ToyboxDX...

(More pictures at the post itself).

This had to be the perfect thing for long trips - when you get bored with the toy itself, play the game! Admittedly this is probably just a very simple "Shoot the Zaku" game, but this is still one of the neatest ideas I have ever seen for a toy.

Did Bandai ever do any more of these toys...or any other "G&W" style video games period? (I am not a video game expert by ANY means - Star Control 2 is the last video game I ever got into). The Wikipedia entry has a listing for the "Wonder Swan" console, but that came out in 1999 and is apparently a cartridge-based system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home