Saturday, December 16, 2006

Classics Minicons...

I nabbed Cybertron Primus yesterday - who I'll review later, since I want to also include screenshots of an anime that I've lost the disc for (I believe I know where it is, but I won't be there until Christmas).

There are 3 versions of Primus - "plain", one with a hideous plastic Unicron head, and one with a bonus pack of Minicons that is a Wal-Mart exclusive. The last is the one I picked up. I assume the "bonus" versions of Primus are to avoid the major problems with Armada Unicron backstock, which was on the shelves for about a year after the toy came out. The 4 minicons are available in their own "themed" packs as well.


Offshoot, Nightscream, Knockdown, and Strongarm in vehicle mode.

The robot modes of the toys. Note the leaning Offshoot.

These guys are COMPLEX, at least for Minicon toys. I actually had to use the instructions, which I usually don't have to do. This is admirable in a way, but I still broke every one of these toys - luckily, today's Transformers have parts that snap right back on. Parents are going to go nuts helping their kids "fix" these guys when they break. To make matters worse, there are no pictures of the robot modes of the toys on the Primus package, which makes the line drawings in the instructions all that you have to go on.

The beast/vehicle modes all look fantastic, but the robot modes of Knockdown and Offshoot are pretty lame. Strongarm and Nightscream are tolerable, but not impressive.

As you can see in the photo, Offshoot will not stand up on its own (I had to lean him on the chair). Knockdown is just a mess in robot mode. His front feet (which turn into the robot legs) look vaguely like fists and have holes which look like they should hold something. This is *really* confusing when transforming the toy sans instructions.

I can't say I'd recommend these guys to adult collectors. I REALLY wouldn't recommend them for children -the transformations are far too frustrating and stuff breaks off way too easily.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leopardon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home