Friday, November 24, 2006

Galaxy Force Optimus Prime review

To continue with Transformers, I recently succumbed and bought the Galaxy Force Optimus Prime toy (Cybertron line, not an import). I do not own the original.

The new lines are loving recolors - many of the big expensive toys are being recolored for more sales. I wonder how successful they are at getting kids to re-buy toys they already have (yeah, I'm sure superfans do, but I wonder how many of even those double dip). Most of the time the recolors look much better than the originals, the exception being Armada "Final Battle" Optimus, who looks like a mess aside from the prettily-chromed Corona Sparkplug.

Galaxy Force Optimus Prime

Gallery of pictures of the Takara version in original colors

The vehicle mode is a tractor trailer that attaches a trailer to turn into a firetruck, which spreads wings into a FLYING fire truck. Being a fan of Ideon (both the show and the robot) I'm a bit more kindly disposed to big flying boxes with wings.

As is par for the course for most Powermaster-and-beyond truck Primes, the cab turns into a small robot, while the trailer attaches to become a bigger robot (in this case, the trailer becomes basically a jetpack). The small robot isn't as poseable as RiD Prime, but it's good enough. One nice thing about the robot is the movable faceplate (a lever lifts the plate on when pulled back). While this was obviously meant to give the look of the BW Primal face, it also reminded me of Daikengo, whose faceplate split in two to reveal a fierce face (have to dig my tape out of this one of these days).

Italian DAIKENGO OP. The original Jpn OP is only in robot OP collections on Youtube.

I really like the black replacing the blue on the toy - much less cheery.

The Cyber Key itself is also much improved, with grey replacing blue and the Autobot symbol chromed (yeah, it'll scratch off real soon, but it looks nice NOW). No real place to store the Cyber Key aside from the slot in the gun (one reason I hate the gimmick - the keys are too easy to lose on many toys).

The original is available at CostCo stores in a 2-pack with CYB Wing Saber and a DVD for $40 (which is about what I paid for GF Op). Unless you really want the new colors like I did, try to get that version. I don't think Wing Saber looks all that great, but it's a good value.

Now I'd better go and think of some non-TF material...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home